Karibuni

In Tanzania, visitors are often welcomed with music. Since you are visiting my blog here's some welcoming music.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

First week in the field

Greetings from Dar es Salaam!!! 

I am sorry for my late update.  We are now online, but I am not.  I am
using my roommate's, Felice, computer.  I do have a phone number, but
no address yet.
011 + 255 + 07 + 565-12284 Remember I am 9 hours ahead of the States
using Central time. 
My skype is katychkared2 
God willing I will be able fix my Internet problem when we head into
town tomorrow.  Right now we are staying at the Hostel in the
Salvation Army headquarters.  Think summer camp with: touch and go
electricity, light dripping cold showers, sleeping under a mosquito
net, and everyone speaking Kswahili and British English around you.
You nowh have an idea of where I am right now. 
Wednesday-Friday 
 The trip to Tanzania was full of events. Like "kidding around", for
those of you who know me well, and getting blank stares from the
employees at Heathrow airport.  Most of the time Felice had to rescue
me from these "situations."  Staying in the Yo-tel at Heathrow airport
for 4 hours. The Yo-tel was so worth it!!  I would HIGHLY recommend it
to anyone with a layover at Heathrow or Gatwick.  I can't and neither
can Felice, my travelling partner, describe or tell you how wonderful
and a true blessing, from our wonderful and gracious Lord, this place
was for us.  When I find where I put my camera, pictures will be
posted. I would also like to give kudos to British Airways for telling
me my English was horrible and serving us the best meals with free
wine.  The flight personal were very nice, except when they told me my
English was horrible. 
Friday 
We slept off the jet lag as much as we could and I went out to dinner
with the boys, Michael and James (my teammates).  I had goat and chips
(fries).  The goat had "extras" in it and I tried to eat as much as I
could because I was HUNGARY.  The drinks were purchased first and had
to be paid for right then.  Then before dinner a waiter came around
and gave us a bottle of soapy water and hot water from a pitcher to
wash our hands.  No napkins at all or anything to wipe you hands off
with for that matter.  After dinner the man came back and let us wash
our hands in the same fashion.  Then finally, the amount for the bill
was shown to us on a large calculator and we paid and thanked them for
the meal.  We went back and crashed until 1pm the next morning. 
Saturday 
We had a tour of the Dar es Salaam city.  First we had to get there on
the daladala (bus).  The bus driver's lot in life is to fill up his
bus with people so that they can feel each other's breath on their
faces. "May I offer you a mint sir/mama."  Mind you the fee for this
"bus" is 250 shillings ($0.25) one way.  Think  of this "city" as a
suburb with traffic, where there are no rules and people who walk are
moving targets that have point on their backs for the drivers to hit. 
Sunday was nice and relaxing.  Services are served in Kswahili, Greek,
and British English.  I have missed and still love the doxology in
Kswahili.  The parish is small even though it is a cathedral.  Lunch
was a Steers the local MacDonalds of Tanzania.  At this fast food
joint pizza (Tanzanian style), Indian type food, and hamburgers
(Tanzanian style) are served. 
Monday 
Kswahili lessons start with Christopher as my teacher.  Christopher is
a guard at the Salvation Army hostel where we live.  His English is
very good, but limited.  He is a great teacher and very supportive to
my very bad Kswahili.  Lunch was in town, where we tried to get cell
phones and USB modems, but were unsucessful at this because most
everything closes at 2 pm. 
Tuesday 
Kswahili lessons continued.  Afterwards we went to the local market
(20 min walk) named Al-Jazireh's.  Then we returned to downtown and
purchased cell phones and USB modems, which don't work with Mac
computers very well.  I will be going Lala Salaam and will continue to
the best of my ability and depending on the internet to keep everyone
up to date on this life's dream of mine to serve "missiontanzania." 
Thank you everyone for your prayers, texts, emails, and love for this
past week!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment