Karibuni

In Tanzania, visitors are often welcomed with music. Since you are visiting my blog here's some welcoming music.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Moving, Fr. Rucker's visit, and realization

  The past two weeks have had their ups and downs.  I think I 
finally left the honeymoon stage of being a missionary.  It is okay 
though; I am looking towards the future!  I have been so blessed to 
have the opportunity to speak and skype with my friends.  It makes a 
huge difference also to be able to skype with my folks. 
Two weeks ago we welcomed Fr. David Rucker and his son Ethan.  It was 
wonderful to be with them; we all had a great time together.  The team 
visited Father at the Catholic Hostel where he was staying.  Felice 
and I were very interested in the possibilty moving to this 
hostel.  Father and Ethan headed to Mwanza, the new Diocesan head 
quarters for His Eminence Jeronymos in the northern part of 
Tanzania.  Father was able to give us a quick report about his visit 
with the Archbishop, and there is a good possibility that we will move 
to Mwanza within the next two months.  This move will bring us closer 
to our final destination, Bukoba, where the Holy Resurrection Hospital 
is located.   
     A week later,  Felice and I decided to move into the Catholic 
Hostel just down the road from the Salvation Army compound.  We would 
still attend Kiswalhili lessons, get our laundry done, and eat meals 
at the Salvation Army.  The people at this new hostel are some of the 
most welcoming and good hearted people around.  Felice and I moved our 
luggage into the rooms with the help of our taxi driver and the 
hostel's very kind staff.  We, like many women, pack heavy bags, but 
important supplies are sometimes heavy.  We decided to get separate 
rooms this time around.  We feel very blessed to have been able to 
move into a more contemporary hostel.  In the process we met a very 
nice taxi driver named Bernard.  Bernard has become our personal taxi 
driver.  We just call him, and he comes to pick us up.  It is very 
nice to have one person to call and to have someone with whom we have 
a relationship.  I enjoy practicing my Kiswalhili with him, and I am 
finding that I am able to chat with people on the streets after I 
finally decided I would start conversing in the language.  Tanzanians 
are not only very grateful for someone's willingness to speak their 
language, but they are very patiently teaching us the proper 
pronunciations. 
     This past Thursday Mama Jango (our Tanzanian culture instructor) 
took us to one of the larger market places in downtown Tanzania.  The 
market was huge, and I took come very interesting pictures (please 
check the website for them).  Mama Jango made sure we didn't get 
scammed by vendors charging us too much.  She also made sure we didn't 
set ourselves up to be pick pocketed.  The afternoon seemed longer 
than it was; we all learned a lot and were able to purchase things we 
wouldn't have been able to purchase otherwise. 
     Classes with Christopher are going well.  Christopher reminds me 
everyday to "fight to learn Kiswalhili."  "Fight" he says "fight 
hard."  Christopher is not only my Kiswalhili teacher, he is also one 
of the guards for the Salvation Army, and he is also a farmer.  Just 
like in the states, Tanzanians have to work several jobs to make ends 
meet.   
I cannot believe it has been almost a whole month since I arrived in 
Africa.  I told Felice today, "You know what I  just realized?  I live 
in Africa!!"   

No comments:

Post a Comment